Thursday 31 May 2018

Broken Worlds

My life changed the moment he crashed through the window.

I was just chilling, practicing my powers, and then, from nowhere, a boy on a dragon, (or a giant, dark-scaled lizard with wings, from what I saw,) crashed through the window. Well, I couldn’t say I wasn’t surprised by that, after all, I had had a lot of crazy things happen to me this week. But, by far, this was probably the craziest. Oh, and I forgot a proper introduction. I’m Kate. And, just to sum up everything, I’m somewhat of an abnormality.

Well, when I saw this dark haired boy with green eyes and his huge dragon crash through my back window, my fight or flight response was full fight. I didn’t want to, but I would defend myself if I had to. My mind was full of questions. Why was he here? What was with the dragon? Who is he? Where does he come from? and I’d probably have thought of a million more if he hadn’t got up, moaned a little bit, and collapsed on the floor.

All cautiousness gone, I ran forward, and he moaned in pain. He touched his hand to his side, and suddenly it slid off, revealing his coat, soaked with blood. I gasped softly and rushed to his aid. My first thought was, Call 911, Kate! but I remained calm, and attended to his wounds myself. I lifted the blood-soaked coat off, revealing an arrowhead. I widened my eyes, unable to believe what I saw.

But I snapped to my senses a moment later, and proceeded to pull it out. Super inconveniently, the scaly lizard (A.K.A Dragon,) decided to protect this boy, and I was forced to deal with him first. Turns out, dragons, like cats, love catnip, so when I threw the pot at it, it sniffed it gingerly, and then started to roll on it. At least this bought me time… I thought with a sigh, thinking about how long it took me to grow it. Then I focused on the real task at hand, the boy. He groaned in agony as I pulled the arrowhead out sharply. Then he passed out.

The boy was delirious for the remaining time of my attending to his wound.

He slipped out of his coma a couple of times, but I think what he saw was too much for him to take, because he just passed out again. I lay him gently near the window, on a couple of pillows, with his dragon curling protectively, but drunkenly around him. As I lay on my bed, I watched the ceiling fan go around an around, and, as I slowly drifted off, I wondered if this, all of this, was just a dream, and when I opened my eyes next, I would be in my bed, without a hole in my window, and no boy and his dragon sleeping peacefully in sight.

It was no dream.

I was jolted from my sleep by something hot, very hot, and also the smell of smoke. I sat up with a jolt, and there was that dragon, with a very guilty look on its face. And guess what? My bedside table is on fire. I put it out with some nearby water (I was expecting this. Like, who would keep a dragon in their house and not?), and saw that the boy was sitting up in his makeshift pillow bed. He was zoned out, just staring into space (Like, wait, dude, my bedside table was just on fire and you just sit there?).

“Hey...” I said cautiously. He reacted so suddenly I jumped. He got up, and slid backward, against the corner of the wall. His hand reached for his pocket, and he realized that he was unarmed. He struggled to his feet, for a couple of seconds, though. He fell to the ground with a groan, clutching his side. His dragon (Who knew?) purred in concern.

All distrust gone. I rushed toward him, and I looked at the bandages in a hurry. Ugh. I thought. He’s opened up that wound again. I un-bandaged the wound and healed it quickly (using magic, duh.). His eyes widened in surprise, and he slid away from me as soon as I wrapped the bandages back on his now partially healed wound (I can’t fully heal things yet.) and his dragon padded his way back towards him nuzzling his shoulder, and then gently placing its head in his lap.

“Who are you?”

The boy, who looked about 17 years old, looked at me accusingly. I answered with a fiery tone with another question, “Who are you?” and then, in a softer, more gentle voice, “I’m Kate, and I’m not here to harm you.” He didn’t seem convinced, but he let me take a look at his bandages one more time before sitting with his dragon and murmuring softly to it. There was a pause for around 30 seconds, really awkward silence.

“Okay, I have told you who I am, now tell me who you are, and why you’re here,” I say in a calm voice

“I don’t even know you, why would I give you my identity?” Says the boy suspiciously.

“It’s just your name! Plus, I have the right to know, without me healing you, you may be dead or still seriously injured” I say, getting slightly annoyed.

“Just tell me,” I say feeling a little calmer. He should have shown some more respect considering I have been helping him, and he knows it because I said so, but then again he just woke up from a coma.

“I don’t trust people easily, and I hope you are who you say you are, but I owe you for helping me, even though you had no idea who I was and what my intentions were, so thanks,” He said looking straight into my eyes.

“Where I come from, I always need to be alert for suspicion, which speaking of which I have a lot of explaining to do,” He said looking down blushing for a bit “Sorry for being such a jerk.”

“It’s alright,” I said soothingly.

“Well, here’s how the story starts…”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Window in the Dark