Thursday 31 May 2018

Gems

I’ve always loved Autumn mornings, the wind whispering in your ear, the beautiful shade of the remaining leaves. And the birds. The cold though, is not as welcome, other than the fact that school closes till the time spring comes. Sadly, I don’t love Autumn anymore.

Jade was my prized possession. She truly was a gem. I loved her more than I loved Autumn.

Another reason I loved Fall because that was when I was born. My birthday falls on October the 21st. I got Jade six years back for my 6th birthday. She was a beautiful thing, with short soft fur, with a white belly and a light, golden brown back. Although she had a white face, on her left eye, she had a puddle of light brown, like a panda’s eyes. She was also reasonably big for a beagle, because she was a mixed breed, with Great Dane blood. She understood every trick like it was her own language, so long as she got her treats She was a loyal dog, who would always listen, no matter what.

Right in front of my house, there is a beautiful park, encircled by a road, which showcases all of the pretty seasons. The tall trees, laden with little blossoms and unripe fruits during Spring, turn into big umbrellas, perfect for sitting under to read or to take a little napping, in Summer. During Autumn, the trees are an explosion of Red, Yellow, and Orange, and during winter, they look delicate and dainty, like a princess would.

For my 11th birthday, exactly a year ago, I got a Frisbee. it wasn’t like an ordinary frisbee, it was like a ring, and through the box, it was called the Aerial Frisbee. It was really cool.

I called all my friends, Maddy, Grace, and even Kate. We all, including Jade, went down to the park carefully, and suddenly, I felt a pang of guilt surge through me, telling me I shouldn’t have brought Jade. You could call it the Angel's warning, or the Devil's contentment, but I just brushed it off, like a fly that came and sat on my shoulder.

Mom and Dad brought down their iPhones and took lots of photos to treasure as memories. We were so happy. I was smiling and thinking to myself when I heard Grace yell “ Jess, catch!”

I jumped up to reach for it but it was too high. Encapsulated in my own thoughts, I ran on to get the frisbee, not realizing grass turning into gravel. I pick the frisbee up and turn around, realizing there was a truck, virtually on top of me. Fear had paralyzed me, and it was not physically possible to run back to the safety of the grass. I hastily crouch down and hug myself, forming a ball. I look over to my parents, pale with fright, running over, but feeling helpless. I see a flash of light brown, run headfirst, and hitting me so hard, and with such force, that I toppled over, and I have no other choice than to roll down to the other side of the sidewalk. Time slows down, I look back at Jade, seeing no pain, no fear, just pure happiness, and longing for me to reach into my pocket and toss her another treat. Little did that innocent, adorable selfless dog know. She did not know that the rules of life and death also applied to her.

I turn away quickly, knowing I can’t bear to watch this, I press my hands over my ears, believing that time will go back and I would never have come down to the park in the first place. I know, that even if I didn’t get hit by a truck, I would still die. I would be incomplete. I was a human without a laughter, happiness, smiles. A human without a soul. A big part of me would have gone with Jade to doggy heaven.

That was not the last place I saw Jade, no. I saw her many more times, every night once I fell into a deep, restless sleep. She also doesn’t come alone, she comes with many more dogs, probably her friends in heaven. Those were some of the rare nights, I would smile in my sleep, and not wake up in the middle of the night and cry myself back to sleep.


Jade was the last dog I’ve had since, and the only dog I will ever have had. Now I understand why people say that “ Dogs are man’s best friend.” Jade was like a best friend. A family member. I love Jade.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Window in the Dark